Monday, June 6, 2011

My Famous Baked Mac and Cheese

The roots of this recipe go back to my first Dinner Club.  It was Kibibi's turn to host. The star of the show was her baked mac and cheese. I'm sure the rest of the meal with amazing but we are all enamored by this cheesy decadence.

I begged Kibibi for the recipe, which she gladly passed on.  I believe her aunt was the one who came up with it.  I've tweaked it in the years since and made it my own. If I happen to mention that I'm making this mac and cheese, friends invite themselves over or mention they're drooling over the memory of the last time I made it for them. 

It is that good.

Now you may wonder why I'm posting a hot dish recipe when it's been in the 90s here.  All I can say is thank God for air conditioning!  I was in need of comfort food last weekend and this fit the bill.

Baked Mac and Cheese
1 lb. any type of pasta, cooked and drained (I prefer penne (big) or ditalini (small))
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. mayonnaise (do not substitute Miracle Whip)
1/2 c. sour cream
4 c. cheddar cheese
Reduced Fat Cheez-its, crushed, about half a box's worth
1/2 stick butter (optional)

While the pasta is cooking, prepare a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup.  Once blended, add cheese and mix well.

When pasta is al dente, drain the water and then add to the mayo-cheese concoction.  Then spread this into the casserole dish.  Sprinkle the crushed Cheez-its on top, as much or as little as you'd like. This will add a nice crunch and texture to the mac and cheese.  If desired, cut the butter into pats and place these at regular increments on top of the Cheez-its. The butter takes it even further over the top!

Bake for 45 minutes or until Cheez-its are slightly browned.  Prepare to be delighted and then adored by all who enjoy the Mac and Cheese!

12 comments:

  1. Oooh, I never thought to add a cream soup to my mac & cheese. I'll bet it's extra creamy and delicious!! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds marvelous!!! can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this tonight! I laughed that the crackers are reduced fat! :) :) Guess it doesn't matter since I'm adding ham to make it a one dish meal. Thanks for such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jill, it is super creamy and delicious! Prepare to have your mind blown.

    @Shell and Doug, let me know what you think!

    @Amanda, I know the reduced fat crackers seem out of left field but they stay crispier than the regular version. It's a small way of making comfort food healthy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out my friend!! I started adding sour cream too!! It turns the past greasy delight into a creamy delight! I was tired of seeing all of the grease in the bottom but i would also like to mention that the stick of butter is NOT, I repeat, NOT optional. :) LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason blogger wouldn't let me sign in so you'd know that I was Kibibi and not some random anonymous person claiming to be your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kibibi, I cracked up when I read your comments! Blogger has had some commenting issues so sorry about that. I can't believe we are on the same wavelength with this recipe with adding the sour cream! That is uncanny. But then, I remember, I am your Road Dawg so it makes sense. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i miss you too! about your visit, i'm going home for the 4th but will be back before you leave so i'll be able to see you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh. This recipe is very different from anything I've tried before. But in my opinion, you can't go wrong with mayo, sour cream and cheese. (And Cheez-Its? I LOVE Cheez-Its!!!) Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm all ready to bake and it looks good. i had a hard time finding Cheez-its at short notice (didn't try Wal-Mart), so I did the problem-solving thinking and decided to try Goldfish Trio Cheese Snack Crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds crazy good! Would you believe my 3 yr old won't eat mac n cheese! I bet she would eat this one!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.