Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Two Roads Diverged

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.


I've come home for a few days, to regroup and to meet my newest niece-in-love. I couldn't help but reflect as I drove into town, how familiar my hometown is.  Familiar roads, familiar faces.  Even the chilly spring weather is familiar.

I don't need directions when I'm here.  I haven't used these shortcuts in a year but I know them as if I'd used them yesterday.  It was soothing and effortless to remember 294N connects with 88W and then I could shoot up 355N to connect with Roosevelt.  Nashville's highways don't make any sense to me and I'm easily turned around.  But here in Illinois I am master of this domain.

I cut through my parent's neighborhood, the one that gets everyone lost and calling frantically, "I've missed the house!"  It feels nice to drive around and through, veering here and there.

And I remember why I left.  Why it seemed important to free-fall for awhile into God's grace and to re-learn dependence.  I approach one year in Nashville and I confidently say this was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  Even though I don't know the shortcuts or always remember that Blakemore turns into Wedgewood.  Even though I'm still making sense of this scene and developing friendships and figuring out what I want from this life.

All has not turned out the way I imagined it would.  In fact, nothing has turned out the way I imagined it would and I'm OK with that.

Metaphor drips around me this trip home.  Maybe it's inherent in any hometown reunion.  Maybe it's because I recognize the similarities between then and now and decisions to be made.

 I say all this because I'm about to take another leap of faith.  It scares me yet, yet thrills me.  Nothing is certain, yet I know I can't stand still.

I'm ready.

How do you feel when you go home?  Are there any changes you need to make in your life?  Do you have a favorite back road short cut?

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Somehow, I can relate. ;) I want to know what this new leap of faith is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a surreal feeling, returning to Athens. I have spent nearly as much time here as I did there now, but I was hard wired in Athens. I will never know Birmingham in that totally familiar way. I do know many of the roads here now, even most of the shortcuts, but not the trees in every yard or the flowering shrubs that will surely greet me around the next turn. I have learned much of this town, but Athens is in me; we are one.

    How I feel about that is the subject of many, maybe even most of my posts.

    Change may be on the horizon for me as well. Taking the summer to think it through. It may just be time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you put this:

    "Why it seemed important to free-fall for awhile into God's grace and to re-learn dependence."

    I can also completely relate to being glad you took a leap, even when nothing has turned out quite like you envisioned it. That's the story of my life! Blessings on these next steps forward (can't wait to hear what they are!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachel, thought you might! We shall chat next time we hang out.

    @Kim, that was beautifully said as always. I'm very interested to hear about the change on your horizon! Remember I'm a good listener:)

    @Kristin, thank you for your kind words. Hopefully things will be put in motion soon and I can reveal my cryptic-ness in the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am like the rest and hope to hear what this leap of faith is soon. I didn't know you then, but it has been very apparent that your leap of faith has worked out. The great thing is that every leap of faith makes us depend on God catching us and there is no leap that is farther than His reach!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.