Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Of All the Bad Boys I've Loved Before...

I have a long and sordid history of mooning over bad boys.  In no particular order, I present to you my Top 10 Bad Boy Crushes.  Mind you, these are fictional characters.  Don't even get me started on musicians- my true weakness.  And I'd rather not go into the details of my real life bad boy crushes. At least not here.  Over a glass of wine perhaps?

1. Dylan McKay- Ah, Dylan with his Daddy issues, alcoholism, and brooding good looks.  I was helpless the moment I saw his sideburns and piercing stare.  I loved his transformation as he became a better man while dating Brenda.  I was disappointed but not surprised when he cheated on Brenda with Kelly- and strangely preferred Dylan-Kelly to Dylan-Brenda.  I wasn't allowed to watch Beverly Hills, 90210 while I was in high school.  I did, however, sneak episodes when I babysat- after the kids were asleep, of course!  Then I watched unashamedly in college.

Photo credit

2. Jordan Catalano- It doesn't get much better than the angsty My So-Called Life.  Who didn't relate to Angela and her friends?  Who could resist the way Jared Leto brought Jordan's character to life? Who didn't want to run their fingers through his hair? Oh, was that just me? (Incidentally, I didn't start listening to 30 Seconds to Mars just because Leto is the lead singer but it sure didn't hurt. That band is obsession-worthy in my book.)  On the bad boy front, Jordan is failing his classes but that turns out to be due to an undiagnosed learning disorder.  He'll sleep with random girls yet there's something about Angela, our Every Girl, that he can't resist. Finally, he's in a band. Enough said.  I can't help but wonder if his musician character paved the way for his real life music...

Photo credit

3. Troy Dyer- I mentioned yesterday that I have Reality Bites almost entirely memorized. That should clue you in to how I feel about Troy, even if he's "a total nightmare for women."  He's a slacker who justified stealing a Snickers bar at his last job, presently unemployed but feels fine about blowing off job interviews.  He hooks up with ladies in a classic love 'em and leave 'em kind of way.  When he and Leilana finally sleep together, he freaks out because he can't handle his feelings and ditches her too.  The nerve! But here's what we appreciate about Troy.  He's the lead singer in a band. He's hot. He's both intellectual and philosophical.  His hilarious one-liners, like "I'm just bursting with fruit flavor." And of course, he wises up by the end of the movie and wins Leilana's heart back. Swoon!

Photo credit

4. John Bender- Also known as The Criminal in The Breakfast Club.  I may be the only one who found Judd Nelson's character so compelling. He is, shall we say, smoldering. All right, so he has pot in his locker. And yes, he's the only one of those kids you'd expect to find in detention.  But we also find out he has an abusive alcoholic father who burned his cigar into John's forearm.  He also gives love a chance with Molly Ringwald's character in the end. So let's all just be a little more understanding, mmkay?

Photo credit


5. Pacey Witter- I still remember the first time I watched Dawson's Creek.  I was in the basement at my best friend Erin's house, surrounded by several other pals during senior year.  It was a fun girls night in which we ate lots of junk food and watched Say Anything. We all loved Dawson's Creek instantaneously. Was it always appropriate for 17-18 year olds to watch? Meh. Who can talk about appropriateness when Pacey is involved?  Pacey, always the underdog. A troubled student. His family refers to him as their great disappointment. He never could measure up. Oh, and then he hooked up with one of his teachers.  But...it turns out Pacey is quite smart and endearing. I loved his razor-sharp wit and ability to banter. He became a better man after dating Meredith and finally Joey.  I was Team Pacey all the way.

Photo credit

6. Jess Mariano- I really miss Gilmore Girls. The trials and triumphs of Lorelai and her daughter Rory, the witty dialog, the pop-culture references. What's not to love? It was already great and then Luke's wayward nephew Jess stepped onto the scene.  A motorcycle aficionado, Jess was incredibly brilliant and well-read yet a slacker of a student. He smokes, he rebels, he's such a bad kid his mom had to send him to Stars Hollow in the hope that he'd straighten out. The banter between Jess and Rory was spark-worthy. That Rory left her good girl ways behind and fell for Jess? Surprising and yet completely understandable.

Photo credit

7. James "Sawyer" Ford- If you watched LOST and you're a female over age 13, chances are you either rooted for Jack or for Sawyer.  I was helpless against Sawyer's Southern charm, affinity for bestowing nicknames, sharp wit, and killer eyes. I may or may not have wanted to run my fingers through his hair. Sure he's a con man and he doesn't mind using rich ladies to get to their money. However, when we take a glimpse into his past, it's a wonder he didn't turn out worse. Sawyer grows up a lot during his time on the island. By the end, we see who he truly is and how much he cares for those he love.

Photo credit

8. Damon Salvatore- The Vampire Diaries' Damon is bad right from the start.  It's not enough that he's a vampire. He's a vampire that relishes in killing and using others. He feuds with his brother Stefan, who happens to be a good vampire, over Katherine, the woman they both used to love.  Wait- are you confused yet?  It's Damon's relationship with his brother's current girlfriend Elena that's most telling. Damon, for the most part, respects her boundaries. He'll do anything to protect her, even though he initially said he didn't care about anyone or anything. He has depth. Did I mention he has that whole tall, dark, and handsome thing covered?

Photo credit

9. Dominic Toretto- Muscles and tattoos and bald head, oh my! Say what you will about The Fast and the Furious franchise, Vin Diesel's acting abilities, and whether cars could do those crazy stunts in real life. There's just something about Dom that won't let me go. Dom's the leader of a street gang that may or may not be heisting goods. Hardened criminal on one hand yet fiercely loyal to his sister and friends on the other hand. Let's not even talk about the romantic scene with his girlfriend in his shop.

Photo credit


10. Roux- Johnny Depp has many bad boy roles to choose from but I  like his gypsy character from Chocolat most of all. Maybe because I find the gypsy life to be intriguing and adventurous, yet dangerous. Maybe because Roux opens Vianne's eyes to what's missing in her life and connects with her young daughter. Maybe because of his sexy, soulful gaze. Roux is not the most stable guy- gypsies are known for their roving ways. The town automatically hates him and his people. Yet we find gypsies are a misunderstood people. They know how to celebrate life, which is why Vianne is drawn to him. Plus, he plays a mean guitar.

Photo credit

Who are your favorite bad boys? What do you think about this list?

11 comments:

  1. Ok, I have to admit this… I think I may be a sucker for the bad boys. ;-)

    Dylan was the guy that I *so* wanted to rescue when I watched 90210.

    Jess was the guy that I wish I had been Rory.

    And as far as “My So-Called Life”and “Reality Bites”… they’re now in my Netflix queue. {LOST was already in the queue, but that’s to fulfill something on my lifelist.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pacey!!! Ahh!! And Jess! Oh my I so agree with most of this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on Team Pacey!! I still get excited when I see the final episode of Dawson's Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was definitely on Team Pacey and Team Jess. The wedding episode of GG when Jess kisses Rory? Lawdy. Who DIDN'T want to be in that storyline?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.K., How cute are you??!! And how old am I that I don't know who half of those boys are? Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all on the same page here, friends!

    @Julie, does that mean you've never watched MSCL or Reality Bites? We will so put that on our list of things to do when you come visit. And you haven't watched LOST yet either? I have so much to teach you:)

    @Katie, I lurved that GG episode! We should have a GG marathon whenever we meet, OK?

    @Shelly, it just means you don't watch as much TV and movies as I do:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am with you 100% for every brooding bit of 1-6.

    i'd add sexy smart-mouthed logan echolls in veronica mars (we MUST see it on the world tour) and sexy spy/terrorist sark from alias (ohmyhotness.)

    milo/jess played another bad boy on american dreams (which was an amazing show!) james franco played the bad boy well on freaks and geeks, too. i'm sure i'm forgetting others...;) great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, loving Jess on this list, but I thought Luke was a bad boy I wouldn't mind being bad with, you know? Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite shows, ever.

    Loved Dylan and Pacey, too. sigh.

    Sawyer is the stuff good bad dreams are made of. yummy.

    I'm trying to think now of any adds to the list. Do the Duke boys from the Dukes of Hazard count? because even as a kid, I wanted to like Beau Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leigh, that is so funny! You just listed most of my tv life in the 80's and 90's. Dawson's Creek was my highschool hobby and Pacey was always my pick. 90210 was the one of my favs too. I liked Dylan but all the boys on there were hot. I met a guy the other day that looked like Vin's twin. I almost swooned! He is so hot! The muscles and the bald head just work for him but his voice is the kicker for me. Nothing gets me hotter than a sexy accent. I would love to see your musicians list. I bet Donnie from NKOTB would be on there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I totally agree with #10! My best friend is OBSESSED with Johnny Depp. Haha!
    My sister and I used to watch Dawson's Creek--reruns, I think--(to Dad's dismay) and Gilmore Girls. Gotta agree with adding Luke from GG. Don't know why, but there was something about him that always made me laugh. :) (Never mind that he's wayyyyy too old for me... He's my dad's age, actually. Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Jess! And Pacey. And you are NOT the only one who found Judd Nelson...appealing...in The Breakfast Club! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.