Monday, May 9, 2011

For the Love of Books

A couple of weeks ago AnnieBlogs wrote about her top 5 favorite books. No categories, no limitations.

It was so hard to choose just 5 that I broke it down by fiction and then nonfiction when I commented.  But even that was difficult.  My mind started envisioning all the book lists I could create.

Why not post these lists, I wondered.  Why not, indeed?  Over the next few weeks, HopefulLeigh is going to be all about the joys of reading.  While I'm looking forward to writing about my favorite books, I'm even more interested in hearing from you! What do you like to read? What books have you *gasp* hated? (Hey, we all come across stinkers at times.) What books do you tell everyone and their mother about?
  • Favorite Fiction (General Market) (5/11)
  • Favorite Christian Fiction (5/13)
  • Favorite Nonfiction (General Market) (5/16)
  • Favorite Christian Nonfiction (5/18)
  • Going to the Classics (5/23)
  • Best Book Series (5/25)
  • Childhood Faves (5/30)
  • Books I Used to Like that Now Make Me Cringe (6/1)
Don't worry, I'll try to slip in a non-book-related post or two in there for those of you who are not as enamored with books as I am.

If you'd like, feel free to write posts according to these categories, giving credit to HopefulLeigh, of course. I won't host a link-up but I'd love it if you posted your list or a link to your own post in the comments.

Tell me truly. Who's the bigger book nerd- me or you?

9 comments:

  1. Oh truly? Probably me, if I'm not a close second. :) I was just thinking about this last night! I"m a huge book nerd! With non fiction I even keep notes and quotes so I figured I should start throwing them up on the blog since now a lot of my friends come to me for book recommendations! With fiction I read almost anything. I'm working on a list of top 10 kids books too. Fun! Can't wait to see your cringe list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fav fiction: Pat Conroy: Great Santini, Prince of Tides, anything he has written. Hell, I have reread his cookbook a hundred times. He might be the passionate crush of my life. (Forget bad boys.) Yes, he is 70. Have you read his words? I was once at a wedding with him, close enough to identify the food on his plate. Did I introduce myself? (he wrote the cookbook with the mother of the groom.) The bride was the closest of family friends. Leigh, I couldn't move to do so.

    Fav non-fiction: Crude, Half the Sky, The History of Time. Read a ton of this stuff for school preparation and enjoyment. Dream job: staff writer, Nat Geo.

    Xian non-fiction: no contest, "The Sacredness of Questioning Everything," David Dark. I meant to loan you my copy. Fine reads: NKOC, Generous Orthodoxy- Brother Brian.

    Classics: I have read over 200 on any of those fb lists. I used to teach lit. I love Thomas Hardy. "Tess of the D'urbervilles" haunts me.

    Series: CS Lewis Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Peralandra, HIdeous Strength.

    Childhood faves: NANCY DREW!

    How about I give this book to all my reader friends and I might take it on one way trip to desert island as only book allowed, yes, it would probably beat out the Bible as my choice, yeah, I said that. "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art." Written by my hero, favorite theologian/artist/person I have never met in the flesh, Madeleine L'Engle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could see myself doing some of these with a twist, but I'm twisted.

    Also, pretty sure I'm a bigger book nerd than you since my number 1 question for potential mates is: can you build bookshelves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see your lists, I will have my pen and paper ready! I love books, but I definitely don't qualify as a book nerd. I give too much attention to other things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooooo looking forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books I tell everybody to read:

    Francine Rivers: Redeeming Love
    Liz Curtis Higgs: Her Burns My Candle, Mine is the Night
    Marybeth Whalen: The Mailbox
    Susan Meissner: Lady in Waiting, Shape of Mercy

    Anne of Green Gables books 1-3
    All Austen, and most Austen fan fiction {even the super cheesy, but not the risque)


    Oh... and so many more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear from so many fellow book nerds!

    @Jenn, I do the same thing with my nonfiction books. You should definitely start blogging about your book recommendations!

    @Kim, I remember that we shared a love of Pat Conroy but you never told me you were at a wedding with him. I probably would have been too petrified to say hi too.

    @Kristin, I meant to include a picture of my bookshelves. I don't want you to drool over them but that's the perk of having a carpenter as a dad.

    @Brownie, to each their own!

    @Heatherly, hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to hear more about your faves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah! so excited! i love books and love adding new ones to my "to read" lists :) excited to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally a book nerd!! I'm looking forward to your lists...of course, I don't really need to add any more books to my Amazon wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.