Thursday, May 12, 2011

#17:Mary Kathryn and I are Real Life Friends!

When I added a meet and greet with Mary Kathryn to my list of 32 Things, I had no idea how or when it would happen.  I only knew that we had connected via the blogosphere and that we could probably sit in a coffee shop and chat til we ran out of words.

Sometimes blog friends have a sense about real-life potential of our friendship.


This past weekend, Mary Kathryn and I traveled to Alabama to meet our other blog friend Kim to help with Kim's youth group retreat.  I haven't quite figured out the words to describe what this weekend meant and what all happened.  I'm so glad that I went. It might not be a stretch to say that it was life-changing in terms of the bonds created and the dreaming that occurred. More on this next week.

Mary Kathryn is even more wonderful than I thought she would be.  She is beautiful inside and out.  Plus, she is funny, wise, gracious, and ever so encouraging and talented. This girl is going places, you just watch.

Our first conversation went like this.  We're sitting in the youth room, teens milling around us.  We'd tweeted that afternoon with a couple of other friends about which Gilligan's Island character we would be.  Naturally, as soon as we could talk freely, I asked MK why there were NO children on the 3 hour tour.  Doesn't that seem unlikely?  She agreed and wondered why the Howells were the only couple. Come on, Gilligan's Island writers.  Do you expect us to believe that this crew just happened to be together and there were no families?

This illustrious discussion segued to Africa.  And then I taught MK that South Africa is actually a country.  Then we commenced to laugh forever and loudly.

These were lighthearted moments but we also had serious conversations.  We all trusted one another with our stories, one of the greatest honors we can bestow upon anyone. Hopes, dreams, scars. We didn't cover it all, as the youth retreat was our primary focus.  But it was just enough to know that Mary Kathryn is a keeper and this is not the end of our friendship.

Have you met any of your blog friends? Why or why not?

6 comments:

  1. LEIGH! i have tears in my eyes! time with you and kim was perhaps the best part of the weekend. i loved every moment spent with you. i can't believe we got to meet and hang out and even be roomies for a few days! (now *that* is trust...what if either of us turned out to be cuckoobrains!?)

    you are the best, leigh. you are every bit as awesome as i knew you would be and so, so beautiful.

    i am so glad we are real life friends and equally excited that you got to cross something off your list.

    love, love, LOVE you! thank you for this sweet post.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must realize how ironic it is that MK discovered that South Africa was a country in Alabama. ( I do recognize that the information was provided from an outside source.) Either way, the entire circumstance gives me hope, especially as a social science teacher.

    I am personally batting 1000 in meeting up with blog friends. I highly recommend it!

    MK knows I think she is one of the brightest folks I know. It's the south...geography outside our beloved boarders baffles us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LEIGH! i have tears in my eyes! time with you and kim was perhaps the best part of the weekend. i loved every moment spent with you. i can't believe we got to meet and hang out and even be roomies for a few days! (now *that* is trust...what if either of us turned out to be cuckoobrains!?)

    you are the best, leigh. you are every bit as awesome as i knew you would be and so, so beautiful.

    i am so glad we are real life friends and equally excited that you got to cross something off your list.

    love, love, LOVE you! thank you for this sweet post.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my bloggity friends are only not my face-to-face friends because of distance. Oh if only Massachusetts could be temporarily transported to the greater Pittsburg area... or North Carolina... or...


    Can't wait 'til OUR time together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must realize how ironic it is that MK discovered that South Africa was a country in Alabama. ( I do recognize that the information was provided from an outside source.) Either way, the entire circumstance gives me hope, especially as a social science teacher.

    I am personally batting 1000 in meeting up with blog friends. I highly recommend it!

    MK knows I think she is one of the brightest folks I know. It's the south...geography outside our beloved boarders baffles us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to manually add these comments back in after Bloggers's FAIL from last week. I hate losing my comments! Thank you for listening.

    @MK, thank you for everything. I'm glad we're in the Mutual Admiration Club. Seriously can't wait until we see each other again!

    @Heatherly, we should figure out a way for everyone to live closer together:) I'm so looking forward to spending time with you at SheSpeaks!

    @Kim, thank you for letting me be a part of this weekend. I'm so glad to know you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.