Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Spring

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.

"Nature is telling us the story of a God who is always creating, always remaking, forever crafting new beginnings. No matter how dry the sultry dog days of summer, no matter how bitter the winter death, new beauty, new life is always coming. It is only a matter of time.

The psalmist echoes the story nature tells. He does not live in denial of the hardship or the scarcity enmeshed with human experience...However, the psalmist knows something else, something more dependable than the certainty of human turmoil. The psalmist knows God; the psalmist knows God's story, that God is always creating, always remaking, forever crafting new beginnings. With God and God's people, there will always be a new season, where life is infused and fruit blossoms. With God, there is always a fresh beginning."  -Winn Collier, excerpt from Deeper Walk daily devotional
Fresh beginnings have a certain appeal and my mind can't help but wander there each spring.  Flowering trees, green grass, people outside.  It all speaks to new life and we are energized by it.

I could use a good dose of energy these days.  One can only question their calling for so long.  And while I know the direction I'm going and have new goals to work towards my dreams, I am exhausted.  It takes more to replenish my strength.  I've noticed I've become more of an introvert since becoming a social worker and I don't think it's by accident.  Whereas I used to recharge by the constant presence of people, now I require more silence, occasionally breaking the fast for Happy Hour.  This is an aspect of me, but it's not me.

My best friend sent me a letter this week and had the grace to say that I appeared to be losing my momentum.  Yes, I thought, that's it exactly.  I know where I want to go but it seems so far away and impossible right now.  It's been easier to retreat and not try at all.  In this, I am able to go to work each day  but then there's nothing left when I get home.

I went on a walk with a friend yesterday and I could feel myself relaxing, settling into the sunshine, and sensing that maybe this is a fresh season in my life.  It felt good.  I don't know how or when God will bring this about but I see Him at work in ways both little and big.  A friend freshly arrived, expanding my knowledge of this town, working on my book, figuring out what I want from life.

New beginnings don't always happen over night.  Sometimes they come in fits and starts and we must be patient to see what happens next.

Are you ready for a new beginning in some aspect of your life?  Is anyone else ready for winter to be over?

1 comment:

  1. Oh honey, you have NO idea how ready I am for winter to be over. Hang in there, dear girl. God will show you what to do next.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.