Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Remembering the Good

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.
I hear people say they survived evangelicalism or they survived a charismatic church upbringing.  My faith narrative has become such that I've often focused on the negative aspects of my childhood church.

I didn't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water. 

My mom and I had an interesting conversation after I wrote about my difficulty praying out loud.  She has a different perspective of my childhood church, which makes sense.  I was young and typically in Sunday school during the service.  My recollections come from the Sunday night services. My perspective is limited by my age at the time.  What does a 4 year old know about church other than what she sees? It was only later that it didn't sit well with me.

My story doesn't end there. God used the meandering path my faith took and I am better for it.  And the truth is, my upbringing in the church impacted my understanding of God for the better.

It was there that I participated in Sword Drills and learned how to memorize scripture.  I can remember sitting in the Sunday school room proudly reciting the books of the Bible.  While some of the Old Testament prophets trip me up at times, I still have the order memorized.

It was there that our family was embraced by the church community and there that I came to experience fellowship.  So many church families were our friends. I now know that this is not par for the course at every church. I remember playing at the Murdoch and Mattea homes, as the grown ups chatted and did life together.  The Ogaards are still close friends, though my family left that church more than two decades ago.

It was there that my parents grew in their faith, which translated to growing my and my brother's faith.

It was there that I learned about the Bible and the meaning of Easter and that Jesus died on the cross for me.

I learned a lot of good in that church during my formative years.  It's time I remembered that.

Are you ever tempted to throw the baby out with the bath water? Can you find positive in the negative?

1 comment:

  1. I'm am learning this so much today!. Went to a church this morning and I was totally turned off by some of the similarities to the churh I was raised in..but I was determined to not be judgemental and I learned to much from the sermon! (which was on bad attitudes...haha the irony)

    Oh...and I totally feel the same way about praying out loud...I'm working through that one...thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.