Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Come Awake!

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.

This Easter is a bit different from previous years. For one, I'm not with my family. For another, I went to my church's Easter service last night.  This is not the first time I've celebrated Easter on a Saturday night but it still seems strange to celebrate on a day other than Sunday.

I've realized that the most important part of my Easter celebration is going to church and acknowledging Christ's death and resurrection.  While I love to be surrounded by loved ones at Thanksgiving and Christmas, my association with Easter is purely spiritual. 

Last night's service was closed by singing Matt Maher's Christ is Risen.  The lyrics still reverberate in my heart and mind.


Christ is risen from the dead
We are one with Him again
Come awake, come awake!
Come and rise up from the grave -Matt Maher

"Come awake, come awake!" I exhort myself. It is time to stand in the light and proclaim Christ's victory over death. It is by grace I am saved and by grace that I may approach the throne.

I pray that this Easter reckoning will go beyond today, that I won't simply sift back into the daily toils and struggles. We are free because of His great love for us! How can we not come alive and devote all?

Happy Easter everyone!  May you be washed anew with God's lavish love for us. He is risen! He is risen indeed!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, Leigh--I've had this song in my head all weekend. I think you summarize what I need myself right now--an awakening. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to church with my family Saturday night this year too. I prefer Sunday morning, it always seems more joyous to me. However, I'm glad I was able to go with my whole family.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.