Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mug Brownie (we were made for each other)

It's no secret that I love dessert.  It's the reason I went cold turkey for a month. I'm happy to say that dessert has become less frequent, yet more enjoyed since our relationship resumed in March.

I've figured out a few ways to keep my dessert-loving ways under control.
1) Don't keep it in the house.  While I have ice cream in the freezer, it's just one kind. If I make dessert for an event, it doesn't come back. No more buying cookies from the bakery- it just means I'll rationalize eating them for breakfast.
2) When I'm offered something sweet, I ask myself if it's worth being my "one dessert of the day."  Sometimes it is, but sometimes I decide to skip it, even if I don't have anything else later.
3) Figure out ways to make it personal/single-sized.  Just one serving is enough!

A couple of years ago the Chicago Tribune Food section printed a recipe for a brownie made in a mug. It was a tiny blurb and I might have overlooked it, but "brownie" called out to me like a siren song.  I quickly became a convert of the Mug Brownie.

It's the perfect pick-me-up!  I can't say whether it's healthy or not but it's better than eating a whole pan.  In fact, sometimes I just eat half and save the rest for the next day.

Mug Brownie
4 T flour
4 T sugar
2 T cocoa
2 T vegetable oil
2 T water
(optional: dash of salt, 1/4 t. vanilla)

Assemble ingredients and mix thoroughly.  It helps to use a small spatula so you can be sure the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.

Microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. It won't be entirely set in the middle.

Be careful- it'll be really hot!  Best to cool for a couple of minutes and then eat warm.  Top with vanilla ice cream, if you'd like. Then sigh with pure happiness and joy. All is right with the world when you're enjoying a Mug Brownie.


Bonus: Throw in a handful of nuts, chocolate chips, or Reese's peanut butter cups when mixing the batter to take your Mug Brownie to a whole new level.
Tip: You can use a mug (regular or large) or a ramekin.  It's entirely up to you.
Do you have any pint-size dessert tricks up your sleeve?  Any variations on the Mug Brownie recipe?

13 comments:

  1. I love the mug brownie! I totes throw in some choco chips. It's a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLYMOLYSWEETMOTHERMARYANDJOSEPHANDJESUSTHEIRSON.

    I. CAN. NOT. WAIT. TO. TRY. THIS.

    xo

    p.s. why would anyone eat this from a tiny ramekin WHEN YOU CAN EAT IT FROM A LARGE MUG?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummers!!! I think I'm gonna have to try this tonight!!!!!!!!! Why is this not more widely known? I think I could even make myself look like a gourmet chef for my next dinner party if I do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that once, and I was shocked that it actually turned into a dessert that I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum! I have such a sweet tooth. I try not to keep them in the house but when I'm really craving something sweet, I get cranky if there is nothing there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachel, this is why we're friends:)

    @MK, you crack me up! Hope this was worth waiting for. Let me know what you think once you try it.

    @Keri, please do try it and let me know what you think! I don't know why more people don't know about it but it's definitely become a staple for me.

    @blueviolet, it is so simple, yet so delicious! And I almost always have all the ingredients on hand when inspiration strikes.

    @Shell, the beauty of this is that you probably have most of the ingredients and it's only the combination that can tempt you. Still, it's a small serving so it answers the craving without going overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made this!! It is just as yummy as an oven baked cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a mug brownie. Now.

    Or maybe next week, when I can eat chocolate again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how cool! I've never heard of this! And i actually kinda prefer it being mushy in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Staci, glad you're familiar with this magically delicious treat!

    @Jill, get thee a Mug Brownie as soon as you're free to eat chocolate again! It's a great way to end a Lenten fast.

    @Liz, you can always count on me for your dessert needs:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a splendid idea! I too have issues baking mass amounts of stuff and then somehow "accidentally" eating it all myself. Mug Brownie might be a good idea for me and my giant sweet tooth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. nom nom nom. my friend makes jar pies, and i must be inaugurated into that goodness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Caroline, I'm sure you will come up with your own fantastic spin on this!

    @Suzannah, JAR PIES??? That sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.