Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Max on Life review

Max Lucado's latest effort is a collection of 172 of the most common questions readers have asked him over the years. They're broken into categories: Hope, Hurt, Help, Him/Her, Home, Haves/Have-nots, and Hereafter. Answering big questions about heaven and hell and hitting closer to home with questions related to divorce and depression, Max covers a lot of territory.

I'm a Max Lucado fan so I had high hopes for Max on Life. He has a way of making connections and explaining the complex in a way that I and so many other readers understand.

Unfortunately I felt he missed the mark here.  It boils down to this: too many questions and not enough of a response.  Though the point of the book is perhaps to offer a short response, many of the questions deal with complex matters and surely deserve more than a half-page response. At times, such as the questions dealing with grief and singleness, I felt his words didn't directly answer the question.  In which case, perhaps they should have used a different question that worked better with his answer.

I like reading advice columns, some more than others.  Readers don't always agree with the advice that columnists give.  Sometimes they are limited by the size of the column or trapped by their own bias.  In Max's case, his advice was often wise but truncated.  I wanted Max on Life to be more than an advice column.

Might people still be comforted by Max's words of wisdom?  Of course!  I still greatly respect his writing and his ministry.  I was just left wanting in this regard.

Do you read advice columns?  I always thought it would be a fun job to have!

Disclosure: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. I'll wait and get it from the library!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.