Monday, April 18, 2011

Home-Ec 101 review

I'm ashamed to admit this but I haven't had a regular housecleaning schedule since I graduated college.  Between living at home with my parents during grad school and then living with roommates, cleaning was something to do in my occasional downtime or before having company over.

I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to homemaking.  I'm comfortable in the kitchen and I'm familiar with the contents of my toolbox.  I can hem with the best of them and enjoy taking on home-related projects.  Cleaning, however, remains something I'd prefer to avoid.

Now that I live by myself, I can only blame myself if my house isn't pristine.  I subscribe to the idea of cleaning once I notice its dirty.  (Lest you think I'm a slob, I'm not. I just don't dust and polish as often as I should.) I keep up on laundry and the dishes but other chores tend to be delayed. I know it's just an excuse but the idea of cleaning after a hard day's work makes me feel more exhausted.

Clearly I needed Home-Ec 101, written by blogger Heather Solos. When the One2One Network offered to let me read a free copy of the eBook, I didn't hesitate to say yes.

The full title of Home-Ec 101 says it all: Skills for Everyday Living.  The book is divided into 4 sections, comprised of Clean It, Wash It, Fix It, Cook It.  It is jam-packed with helpful information.

Wondering about why you shouldn't mix ammonia and bleach? And did you know you still shouldn't mix them, even if they're included in other cleaners?

Do you know how long your appliances will last? Are you versed in how to get rid of all manner of stains?

What should you do if you need a rolling pin but don't want to buy one? (I felt proud that I already knew this answer- use a bottle of wine.)  What are common cooking substitutions?

All this and more is contained in Home-Ec 101.  Thanks to Heather, I have now developed a cleaning schedule that works for me.  She breaks up chores into daily tasks.  Dusting becomes more manageable when you do it one room at a time. She walks the reader step by step through deep cleaning, then offers tips on how to maintain a clean home.  This I can handle.

While the eBook was helpful, I'm glad that Home-Ec 101 is available in hard copy at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Depending on your question, it would be easy to flip to the pertaining section.  This is a handy manual that you'll want to keep around. 

What are your cleaning habits?  How do you stay on top of the demands of your home?

Disclosure: One2One Network provided me with a free copy of the Home-Ec 101 eBook for review, with no expectation that I would provide a positive review.  The thoughts, opinions, and reactions are entirely my own.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely fall into the category of just waiting until things get messy and then cleaning/fixing/changing. For everything else in my life I have a system. I should probably have a system for maintaining cleanness/neatness.

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book suggests assigning a task/chore to each day. So Mondays you might do laundry and dust the living room. Tuesdays you might clean the bathroom, and so on. The trick is figuring out what works best with your lifestyle. And if you're like me, most weeks look different. But I do like the idea of spreading chores out over the week instead of doing a massive cleaning every so often. Happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, if you are sleeping over tonight, will you bring your computer so i can look at this, please?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.