Monday, March 14, 2011

When Shamrock Shakes are Scarce

 Photo Credit: Pavone
I remember the first time I laid eyes on a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's.  My class was on a field trip and had stopped for lunch.  Kim ordered one and brought the green concoction to our table.  I was a bit dubious.  What might a green shake taste like?  Why, minty deliciousness, that's what. 

I've been hooked ever since.

Every March, sometimes February if I'm lucky, I've tracked down a Shamrock Shake or three.  Mostly in honor of St. Patrick's Day, which is my favorite holiday.  All right, mostly because they are obsession-worthy.  Why else would there be a Shamrock Shake website solely devoted to helping people track down the shake no matter where they live?

Sadly, I learned a couple of weeks ago from a friend that TN McDonald's do not carry our favorite minty treat.  How would I face March without a Shamrock Shake?

When life hands me lemons, I whip up my own Shamrock Shake recipe.  And just in case the shakes are scarce in your area too, I'm sharing it with you.

Leigh's Shamrock Shake**
2 cups good vanilla ice cream
1 cup milk (less if you like a thicker shake, more if you like a soupier shake)
1/4 t. green food coloring
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4-1/2 t. peppermint or mint flavoring (creme de menthe would be amazing!)

 Blend and enjoy!

Feel free to play with the flavoring amounts, as well as the amount of green.  I found this to be perfect for my tastebuds.  Part of McD's Shamrock Shake is the chemical-ness of it all, which I could not replicate here.  This is definitely a "healthier" version of the seasonal treat. 

**I'm sure other versions of this recipe exist but I came up with this one on my own.  Start with a simple milkshake base and start mixing your flavors.  Maybe I'll take on the Egg Nog Shake come Christmas.

If you're a lucky duck with access to Shamrock Shakes, how many have you had this season?  I'd like to live vicariously through you.  

What do you do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

8 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious Leigh! I LOOOVEEE mint anything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled this for you! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a bunch this season! I can't believe the McDonald's there don't have them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. never had either, but I wonder if you could used mint chocolate chip Icecream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! I love all things mint, so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to confess, I'm not much of a SS fan. They just don't taste like mint to me. In fact, we've been having a family debate lately about whether they are just vanilla shakes made green or if they really are mint. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know what y'all think if you try it! My version is definitely mintier and greener than theirs- just the way I like it.

    @Brownie, Mint Chocolate Chip is an inspired idea! Totally buying some once the vanilla is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nudged my family into going to McD's just so I could get a Cream Egg McFlurry. Unfortunately, they weren't there yet. :( However, I soon found out my husband had his own reasons for going as he ordered a Shamrock Shake. He thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.