Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Link Love

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.

I can't formulate my thoughts today so instead I will share with you some of the posts that have resonated with me this past week.  Mind you, this is just a partial list, the ones I haven't been able to get out of my mind.
  • When God Answers Yes from Stephanie Bryant at (in)courage: "But why do you pray? To get an answer? To have that answer be “Yes!”? To change your life? To change the world? Or to be with the One you long to glorify, verbalize soul-praise? No matter how you answered, it can be difficult to be loved with a “Yes. Often when I pray, I don't expect that God will answer "yes."  Instead I prepare myself to dwell in the purgatory of unfulfilled dreams.  When God comes through, I'm always shocked and wonder why He chose to say "yes" this time.
  • Interview with an Introverted Therapist (Adam McHugh):  McHugh, author of Introverts in the Church, was a guest poster on Rachel Held Evans last weekend. In the comments, someone mentioned that therapists tend to be introverts, which I'd never heard before and frankly explained a lot about my tendencies. McHugh kindly linked this interview he did on his blog and I was blown away.  I've always been a good mix of introvert and extrovert but the longer I've worked as a social worker, the more I've needed to recharge sans people.  Many people incorrectly define introverts and extroverts, so it's always interesting to hear from others who are outgoing, total people persons, yet need their own space to feel refreshed. Just like me!
  • You Are Not a Lie (Sarah Markley): A good reminder. Let it sink deep into your soul.
  • Velveteen Heart by Alece at A Deeper Story: "So I learned to be authentic in past tense. To speak of what I’ve overcome, how much I’ve changed, what I used to struggle with. But past tense authenticity isn’t really authenticity at all, is it? The present tense, bare-boned kind is vulnerable and exposing. Naked, with nowhere to hide. Just me, broken and battered."  With these words, I felt Alece perfectly captured my struggle. From my comment: "I am so good at sharing how God has worked and my past struggles but the moment I experience present-tense pain, I retreat from friends and family...I rob them of the opportunity to be there for me, to do life together, over and over again. I’m realizing that I’m not OK with that anymore and so carefully, slowly I’ve been opening up to my inner circle in the moment. It’s awkward and I don’t like it and yet it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself."
  • What To Do When You Are Forced to Wait (Michael Hyatt):Very aptly put.
  • She Names Herself Thankful (Emily at Chatting at the Sky): "She chose a better way. She chose a life of beauty, of thanksgiving, of trust. She has lived that better way for many years alone."  Oh how I pray those words will be said of me someday.  There are so many lovely bits that struck me in this piece- trusting anyway, living beautifully anyway, all while God is orchestrating on our behalf.

What posts have resonated with you this week?  Please feel free to link any worthwhile posts below- even your own!

2 comments:

  1. thank you for the link love, Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot of good inspiration coming your way. And if you are a therapist or a listener, you need lots of love sent your way. Listeners tend to be introverts because of the amount of emotional weight they carry. We need time to unstrap the burdens off our backs before we can head out to the world and take on another load. I really don't know how non Christian therapists survive in that field. To not have Jesus to take those burdens away, they must live heavy hearted. This doesn't relate but this is a post that I wrote this week that I am particularly proud of http://thebiblechef.blogspot.com/2011/03/ponderings-of-church-youth-worker.html
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.