Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: At the Core

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.



Friday night I submitted a piece to A Deeper Story about my recent struggles. (Do you read A Deeper Story yet?  Because you totally should.  Always excellent and thought-provoking.)  I've been praying about "next steps" and God had revealed one to me, which I've been trying to put into practice.  I felt good about what I wrote and about this new direction. 

Saturday morning I perused the usual suspects instead of working on my book (oops) and landed on (in)courage (another one to add to your Reader), where Sarah Mae unveiled the free e-book she wrote: Core Lies.  The subtitle is compelling: Discovering and Dealing with the Lies We Don't Even Know We Believe.  Yes, I thought.  That's me.

For the last few years, I've been frustrated with my inability to move past a part of my life that I know I have freedom from.  But since that's one of the biggest puzzle pieces of my life, when some of my issues come back, I assume that that's what it's related to.

Core Lies clarified this for me.  Different spokes from the same wheel.  That stuff from my past is in my past but it is connected to a core lie that hasn't been dealt with.  Mostly because I didn't realize that there was a core lie.  That's their nefarious nature- they are such a part of our normal, every day lives we don't even realize we're living out untruths.

Our beliefs about ourselves are impacted by these core lies, which then shape our goals, behaviors, and emotions.   Which, of course, impacts every other aspect of our lives.

I read the e-book in one sitting, often with tears in my eyes.  I can't say that I've figured out the root issue yet but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I plan to go through the section on working through core lies, giving it the time it deserves.  I know it's not going to be pretty or easy.  Now is a time for continued prayer and talking these insights through with my trusted inner circle.

I'm ready to understand and put the old ways behind me.

*No one asked me to review this e-book.  I'm sharing it with you because of how it has already impacted me.  Perhaps it will be helpful to you, perhaps not, but this is something that God is using to  provide a glimpse into my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest and brave insights here, Leigh. I hadn't heard of this release from her - I look forward to checking out.

    I LOVE A Deeper Story. The writings there consistently challenge me. I hope to discover more about you and your story there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Leigh. Keep doing the hard work, and I know you'll be glad you did in the end. So glad you shared this today. I'm heading over to check out A Deeper Story now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for writing this, I am so happy to see that it can be a tool in your journey.

    Oh, and I LOVE A Deeper Story! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.