Monday, March 7, 2011

Counting the Gifts


I've followed Ann's blog for awhile and have loved her idea of marking joy by writing down 1000 gifts though I've never participated.   

Now I am savoring her book.  She paints such powerful imagery with her words.  At times I feel she is speaking directly to me, though I know she ministers to so many.
"As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible.  Joy is always possible.  Whenever, meaning- now; wherever, meaning- here. The holy grail of joy is not in some exotic location or some emotional mountain peak experience. The joy wonder could be here! Here, in the messy, piercing ache of now, joy might be- unbelievably- possible! The only place we need to see before we die is this place of seeing God, here and now." -Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts, p. 33
"The gift list is thinking upon His goodness- and this, this pleases Him most! And most profits my own soul and I am beginning, only beginning, to know it. If clinging to His goodness is the highest form of prayer, then this seeing His goodness with a pen, with a shutter, with a word of thanks, these really are the most sacred acts conceivable." -p. 61
As I've been picking through the rubble, I find myself coming back to these gifts.  It is far too easy for me to focus on what I don't have.  Tracking these every day joys will not undo all that I must work through but I can't help but believe it will pave the way.  At the very least, it will be the start of heart change.

Occasionally I might blog my 1000 Gifts but for now it's between me, God, and my journal.  I sense I might be quieter here for awhile.  This is a time to listen to what He might say and to follow through on what He has been wanting me to do. 



How do you count it all joy?

2 comments:

  1. so well said leigh..why is it so hard to get off track..place our eyes on what is not instead of what is...
    I am trying each day to focus on Him...who HE is, not what I have made Him or what He has failed to give me..
    this is hard yet so freeing...
    great post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful idea. I pray that the quiet will allow you to spend more quality time with Him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.