Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Sentiments: Story

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.
 Source unknown from Google Images
"You can call it God or a conscience, or you can dismiss it as that intuitive knowing we all have as human beings, as living storytellers; but there is a knowing I feel that guides me toward better stories, toward being a better character. I believe there is a writer outside ourselves, plotting a better story for us, interacting with us, even, and whispering a better story into our consciousness." -A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, Don Miller, page 86
I don't think it's an accident that I started reading this book right as I started writing my own.  Miller's words about story, character, seeing oneself as a storyteller, and how these things relate to faith stretch me personally and creatively. 

How do we live as storytellers?  How do we fight the lie that our lives are boring, uninteresting, just day-to-day getting by?  Maybe you didn't save the world today but I'm sure we can all point to some interaction or occurrence that's worth noting.

I need to view myself as a living storyteller, not because of my craft but because of who God has created me to be.  There is beauty in the changing.  I may not yet know what God is leading me toward but it's coming and I don't want to miss out on the in between.

4 comments:

  1. Great words, as always. That book hasn't let me go since I finished. One of the biggest things that happened for me last year was choosing to get healthy (which involved losing a pretty significant amount of weight) and the point where desire merged into do-ability had a great deal to do with reading that book, and wanting to be intentional about my story. Love what you said about being a "living storyteller." Also liked reading your thoughts on faith versus political stuff. I tend to lean to the left as well, but I hate talking about politics in general. I have friends who are conservative and friends who are liberal and all of them are amazing people. Sometimes I think people get so caught up in the labels they forget the heart of what matters. I think it is especially difficult to discuss those leanings when you're a believer - because there is so much pressure, and animosity, toward being a particular way. It was nice to read about someone else working through those definitions (and realizing they don't define you at all.) (I've got a line from a Derek Webb song running through my brain right now: "My allegiance ... is to a King and a Kingdom."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Exciting that you're starting to write your book. I really need to get "A Million Miles."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I need to view myself as a living storyteller, not because of my craft but because of who God has created me to be." <-- Beautiful. You are so going into my favorite quotes w/ that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalie, yes, I feel like this book has so many layers to it so I'm taking it slow and steady. I love hearing about how it motivated you to lose weight! So cool! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the intersection of faith and politics. I feel that as a country we need to move beyond party lines or at least move beyond the vitriol. In the meantime, I'm with you and Derek Webb:)

    @Rachel, I highly recommend A Million Miles and I'm not even halfway through it.

    @Cris, awesome! That is such a compliment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.