Monday, February 7, 2011

A New Kind of Valentine


I don't like Valentine's Day.  Never have.

Still, I'm willing to put my animosity behind me and give this holiday a chance, thanks in part to Megan from SortaCrunchy.  She's launched the Give:Love project.  Do yourself a favor and read her post explaining all about it.

Give:Love supports the work of Love146, an organization with the vision to "end child sex slavery and exploitation.  Nothing less." Love146 is working hard to eradicate child trafficking both internationally and in the United States. In addition, they aim to restore survivors with love.

This is much-needed ministry unfortunately.  We may not be able to personally work with survivors of child trafficking but we can support the people that do.  An easy way of doing this is buy purchasing Valentine's postcards here.  The postcards contain a small family-friendly mention of the work that Love146 is doing.  Or you can download free Valentine's and donate the money you would otherwise spend to Love146.  Talk about redeeming this holiday!

You know I don't mention causes without putting my money where my mouth is.
I'll be sending these Valentine's out to my nearest and dearest...my first Valentine's in forever.   I hope and pray that someday there won't be a reason for organizations like Love146 to exist.  Until then, I'll support their work and keep praying.

Do you send Valentines?  Do you support Love146 already or other organizations dealing with sexually exploited girls and women?

2 comments:

  1. What a great thing! So often my students ask, "What can we do?" when I show docunmetaries on child trafficking in my Economics class. They can order these Valentines! We will watch the video today and respond with this kind of love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did we miss each other at Blissdom?

    And what a noble cause – I think you’re a noble woman of strength. I will check it out.

    God Bless and Keep You
    and Yours

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.