Friday, January 21, 2011

Cupcakes and Roadkill

My friend Jason likes to say that the second thing I ever told him was, “I like to eat.” I'm sure it was more likely the tenth thing I ever said. Jason does like to exaggerate, after all.

On the other hand, I tend to rhapsodize about food. Cupcakes become life-changing experiences. Soup, hearty fare that it is, is declared as good for the soul. A meal is hailed as the best thing you'll ever eat. I don't just like to eat, I relish it.

I sit here today and wonder where this relationship with food began and why I'm unwilling to change my habits.

I'm not that overweight, you see. Most people meeting me would never guess that I'm carrying about 10 more pounds than I'd like. I've learned the art of camouflage and, since I'm single, I'm the only one that knows what lies underneath. Since food derives such pleasure for me, I've had a hard time recognizing that I need to change...
I'm honored to be guest posting at my friend Mary Kathryn's Beauty for Ashes blog as part of her Made to Crave community. I definitely recommend Lysa TerKeurst's book if you'd like to reexamine your relationship with food and how God fits in.  Click on over to find out the rest of my thoughts and join in on our conversation.

3 comments:

  1. Leigh, I definitely understand the idea of relishing food......I really hope we can meet up at blissdom (I'm attending the prayer b'fast on Friday am!). Hope all is well for you in Nashvegas and I can't wait until next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I hope we meet too. I'm glad you'll be at the prayer breakfast- we'll have to be on the look out for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you had not read the Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster, I highly suggest it. There is a section on there about fasting, but it talks more about how our body interacts with food and its just soo good!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.