Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Merry Christmas, friends.



HopefulLeigh is going to be quiet the next couple of weeks.  It's time to close the laptop, spend time with friends and family not seen the past few months, and remember what it means to celebrate the birth of our Risen King. 


It'll be nice to return to my hometown, see how it's changed.  See how friends and family have changed.  See how I've changed.

When I return, I face my first weekend call.  To say I'm terrified is an understatement.  Unlike other weekends where there is still social work coverage in the emergency department, the New Year's holiday has ensured that I'm the only one around, which means I probably will have to go in, which means I will freak out because it's probably something I don't know how to do. 


So I'm praying for God's unfailing peace to dwell in me.  I don't want to be nervous while I'm celebrating Christmas or to dread coming back to my new home.  I will get through it one way or another.


For now, I'm going to take a cue from Anna.  Viewing life through the eyes of a child lends wonderful perspective.  Happiness, excitement, wonder. 
It's time to restore the awe I felt every Christmas growing up.  I never believed in Santa but Christmas always felt magical to me.  Magical may be the wrong word- it always felt like I was a small part of something huge.  The mystery and magesty...that's a better fit.

The mystery and magesty of a Savior born in a manger.  A baby born to die.  For us, for a sinful world.  On-call nerves and changing lives pale in comparison to this ultimate gift.

Merry Christmas, friends.  And happy New Year!

Note: These pictures were taken over the weekend at the Opryland Resort.  I haven't experienced their Christmas decorations since my first visit to Nashville six years ago and I haven't been through the hotel since they reopened from the flooding.  It is as impressive as ever!  It made me even more excited to go to Blissdom next month, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.