Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#30: Join a small group Bible study

Small groups and Bible studies used to be a big part of my life.  I even led a small group for the young adult group at my church, as well as a small group for the Women's Ministry, for awhile a few years ago.  Then I started serving in other areas of the church and gradually became less involved with the young adult group and didn't have time for the Women's Ministry studies either.

I know the value of a good small group.  Fellowship is vital for a believer.  So I resolved last January that this year I would get back into the swing of things.

This past fall I more than met this goal.  I started going to my church's Beth Moore study in August.  I absolutely love the discussion group I'm in.  A nice mix of ages and marital statuses.  We all share our hearts openly.  It is a beautiful gift!  When I told them I wasn't sure about the winter curriculum, they told me I didn't have a choice, that I had to keep coming.  Well, when I heard that, I knew that it was true.  Revelation study, ready or not, here I come.

In September, I also joined a community group.  It is composed of young married couples with children.  And me, the token single.  We are still getting to know each other but I feel that we have much that we can learn from one another.  I'm hanging in there.  Maybe another single will join us.  Maybe not.  Either way, this group is stretching me and challenging me to think beyond myself.

I pledged in the Radical Experiment to purposefully connect with these two groups.  This is good to keep in mind over the next year.  What is my role in these groups?  How am I intentional about getting to know everyone better?  Sometimes we must be the change we wish to see.  Sometimes it is our season to be poured into, instead of the one pouring into others.  Sometimes it's good to be out of your comfort zone.

God has used these two groups already to bless me, to grow me, and to feed me.  All this in such a short time.  I wonder how He will work in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.