Thursday, November 25, 2010

Six Months: Blessing

Pumpkin Pie Crunch is baking in the oven right now, scenting my home beautifully.  In a few hours I'll head to a friend's house.  My first Thanksgiving apart from my family.  While I'll miss gathering around the table- and they'll miss my fantastic green bean casserole- today is not about sadness but reflection.  Awe. Gratitude.

I look back on the past six months and I honestly have no idea why God has blessed me with so much.

My dream job?  Living on my own in a duplex just blocks away from my best friend?  A church that grows and feeds me in so many ways?  A new community of friends?

So much more than I could have ever asked for or imagined.

Last weekend we sang Great is Thy Faithfulness, which is one of my favorite hymns.  This time the chorus struck me in a whole new light.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
All I have needed. God provided a job, a home, a church, and friends- and abundantly so.

Sometimes at the holidays it's overly evident that I'm not sharing this one with a special someone.  Especially as my younger cousins pair off, another friend gets engaged, someone else is pregnant.  As much as I want to be married, it's not my reality.  What I realized as I sang the hymn, God really has provided everything I need.  In those terms, my life is complete.  While I would tend to disagree (because I want to get married), I don't need to get married.  If and when it happens, my husband will enhance my life but he won't complete it.  Only God brings completeness and wholeness to our lives.  Anything else He does is the icing on the cake. 

My Daily Word devotional the other day said something to the effect of this.  If God never did anything else in your life, never answered another prayer, would Christ's death on the cross and incomparable grace be enough?  It's not a question you can answer glibly. 

Today I am grateful for the blessings these past 6 months and the 6 months before that.  I realize how much I don't deserve them though.  Without Christ's sacrifice though, these blessings mean nothing.  So yes, His grace is enough.  God, thank You so much for Your work in my life, from my salvation to my sanctification.  May my life be used for Your glory!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  (Or should I say, y'all?)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, His grace is truly enough! So freeing! We have so much to be thankful for EVERY DAY how amazing is that?!! Oh...and I love that quote from Helen Keller on the top of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.