Friday, November 5, 2010

Planning my Christmas Card

I've been mailing Christmas cards since college.  At first, I would try to find a card that wasn't too cheesy and send it to friends with a quick line or two written.  Several years ago I started typing out Highlights of the Year.  I printed it out on colored paper, cut it out with fun edging scissors, and then glued it to the blank side of the card.  It was a nice way to tell people what's been happening in my world.  Some people like reading 2 page long newsletters but I think most prefer something short and sweet. 

In 2007 I wrote a 1 page letter.  That was the year my great-aunt and grandma died. It had seemed wrong to categorize two major events as a one or two line Highlight so I decided to write a letter.  I let people know the facts and what God taught me in the process, then added the other goings on of the year.  Several people told me that the letter impacted them, which was not my intent but encouraging to hear.

2008 and 2009 brought me back to the Highlight list again.  The lists are enjoyable to create but I don't want to get stuck in a greeting card rut.  As I've thought back on all that has happened in 2010, I thought it might be interesting to go in another direction.  The photo card direction, to be precise.


I might have a friend take a picture of me by some Nashville landmarks, showing off my fabulous new life.  Or I might use the picture of myself at the World War II Memorial, showing off my new state pride.

I never thought about sending a photo card as a singleton before I moved but just because I didn't get married or have a baby doesn't mean I can't show off my life.  Don't I deserve to have my picture posted on your refrigerator too?  



Shutterfly has tons of options when it comes to holiday cards. You can select how many pictures you'd like, specific designers or charities to support, and so much more.  I'm rather impressed, really.  And if you don't want a flat postcard, you can select an actual card or stationary.

I usually like my Christmas cards to have a message about the reason we're, you know, celebrating this season.  This might be a good option:

However, I'm still attached to my Highlights idea so this one has possibilities too:
Can I narrow down 2010 to just 10 top moments?  Hmmm....

Or I could do a regular old classic Christmassy design like this:
I love the brown background with the pop of red from the cardinal.  If I skip the highlights (or put them on a separate page), I could see this picture holding its own on a fridge near you.

Better yet...well, I guess you'll just have to wait and see what arrives in your mailbox next month. 

In the meantime, happy browsing and shopping at Shutterfly.  Keep them in mind for present ideas too- from calendars to mugs, there's all sorts of personalized possibilities.

Do you send out Christmas cards?  Have you ever gone the photo card route?

Disclosure: I will be receiving 50 free holiday cards from Shutterfly for this review but all thoughts are my own.  If you're a blogger, go here to be a part of the action.

2 comments:

  1. "Don't I deserve to have my picture posted on your refrigerator too?" This cracked me up! Ha ha!
    I really like the Top 10 Photo card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I *love* that top 10 moments card! And there is nothing wrong with photo cards as a singleton- some of my fave cards I've ever received were those very cards! I can't wait to see what you decide on!

    xoxo,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.