Friday, September 24, 2010

Thai Ground Turkey and Mushroom Risotto

I couldn't help myself.  I started out planning to make a variation of this sausage risotto.  It's good on its own so I already knew I'd skip the pepper-stuffing and add mushrooms.  I had ground turkey defrosting, which is a simple enough substitution for sausage.  The beauty of risotto is that it provides a good base- the possibilities are endless! 

I'd been putting off grocery shopping all week but today I started work an hour early.  I was going to leave an hour early but got caught up with some patients' needs at the last minute.  Still, an extra half hour before rush hour traffic heats up is priceless!  It was smooth sailing to Publix.  I keep chicken broth on hand but thought I'd grab a replacement for the one I'd be using tonight.  That is when I noticed this:
College Inn Thai Coconut Curry broth.  It piqued my interest.  I have a deep abiding love for Thai food and I haven't had any since I moved here.  My mind started whirling...what would a Thai risotto be like? 

The answer is absolutely, positively delicious!  The spice is subtle but reminiscent of my favorite green curry. If you'd like to up the ante on the spice factor, throw in some extra curry powder. A dollop of plain yogurt added a nice creamy texture as well. And so my friends, I present to you my new recipe.  I'm already considering what other tweaks are possible...

Thai Ground Turkey and Mushroom Risotto
1 lb. ground turkey
3 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 c. white wine (don't use a Riesling or sweeter wine)
4 cups College Inn Thai Coconut Curry broth
1 c. risotto
Dollop of plain yogurt as garnish (optional)

1. Heat a large saute pan. Add turkey, onion and celery. Saute until veggies are soft and turkey is cooked completely. Just before the turkey is finished cooking, add the mushrooms.

2. Add wine and risotto.  Increase heat to medium-high. Reduce until the liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally. If you don't like to cook with wine, substitute with another cup of broth.

3. Stir in 1 cup of broth. Keep stirring until liquid is absorbed. Then add another and stir until broth is absorbed, repeat. At cup #4 taste to see if the risotto is cooked. By this point the mixture should have a creamy look and texture. The broth process takes about 15-30 minutes. Yes, it's a lot of stirring but you can do it!

4.  Plate the risotto and add the yogurt garnish, if desired. 
 Thai risotto, Honey Moon Ale, and a romantic comedy on TV...the perfect way to ring in Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.