Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Sentiments: Waiting

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.

 Many, many thoughts racing through my mind today and I'm not sure how to synthesize them enough for a post.  God is certainly teaching me a few things that need to change but I'm not sure how that's going to happen.  The themes seem to center around idolatry, finding satisfaction in Christ alone, and viewing myself the way God sees me.  In the meantime, I've decided to share an excerpt from the Deeper Walk daily devotional put together by Relevant magazine.  This particular excerpt touches directly on some of the things I'm thinking through and I'm hoping it will speak to you as well.  I highly recommend you sign up for Deeper Walk if you're not already.  They're quick reads and a great way to center your day around God.

"I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope."
 Psalm 130:5 TNIV
Jesus seems to remind us, in the way that He lived, that sometimes saying "no" to good things is necessary in order to tend to the needs of the heart...In essence, true spiritual renewal arrives when we become boldly aware of our own weakness. The exposure is painful, but in these moments we are closer to God than we could know. When we wait on God, we develop an expectant faith, pregnant with hope.

Finding the rhythm and grace in this sacred effort of waiting teaches us to renew our hearts through divine resources instead of conjuring up some pseudo-strength of our own.

Waiting goes against our natural instincts. But when we stop and wait for God to renew us, we receive what only God can give: a fresh expression of faith and a new passion for life.

2 comments:

  1. This lesson of "wait" is one I am learning recently, too.

    And it's probably, for me, the hardest one to learn. I hate waiting. I'm not naturally patient. I would much rather go charging ahead, but somehow, that still, small voice stirs me and I know that when a bull charges through a china shop, brokenness is the inevitable end of that story.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bull charging through the china shop...that's powerful imagery and painfully true, Caroline. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.