Thursday, September 9, 2010

Comfort Food

It's a cloudy day.  My sinus headache has been going strong for two days now.  The rain teases us with sprinkles here and there.  What else was there to do but make chili?

I spotted this White Chicken Chili recipe yesterday and thought it sounded delicious.  When I left work today, I eyed the clouds and immediately did not want to go to the grocery store.  I just wanted to go home and make chili.  Except I didn't have chicken, an onion, sour cream, or whipping cream.  All essential ingredients.  I did what any lazy person would do and called Tracy to see if she was running errands and would she please, pretty please pick those things up for me?  Miracle of miracles, she was at a grocery store and graciously agreed to pick those items up.

After I hung up with her, I wondered if I should invite Tracy and Joel to be my guinea pigs.  It's easy enough to use products that are gluten-free (i.e. the chicken broth) and I thought they'd probably like this recipe.  Tracy called me when she was leaving the store and so I pitched the idea to her.  This is how my dinner for one became dinner for three.

As I diced onions, cut chicken, and stirred the pot, I felt tension leaving my body.  Cooking has always been therapeutic for me.  Cooking for friends, however, has an even more magical effect.  I somehow feel complete.  I'm nurturing someone else.  I don't have a husband to cook for but I have family and friends around me.  I've missed that since I moved here.  I've continued to cook for myself but tonight reminded me how much I love cooking for others.  This is who God created me to be.

This makes me wonder if there is a soup kitchen I can serve at or if there are people I should be inviting into my home to break bread.  When I read Lindsey's post today, I am reminded that I have so much love to share and I need to be intentional to do so.  If you're not already following the Compassion bloggers who are in Guatemala this week, you should start now. In the interest of full disclosure, I support three children through World Vision.  I would challenge everyone to consider sponsoring a child through World Vision or Compassion International.  Sponsorship has a profound effect on a child's life.  Lindsey is a good place to start, as is Ann, whose account today of meeting her Compassion child is incredibly beautiful and moving.  (I also loved her mention of Ruth whose mission is her kitchen- I can relate to that!)

Oh, and as for how we liked the White Chicken Chili?  It was "I'm taking a second serving" and "can I have this recipe?" good.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh! I've been looking for a good white chili recipe. I will have to try this one! If you're up for an "unusual" but OH SO DELICIOUS recipe, the favorite chili at my house is Rachael Ray's Creamy Chicken Apple Chili. Yes, apples in chili. And it's so good I'm always excited about the leftovers and sad when they're gone! Here's the link: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/soup-recipes/Creamy-Chicken-Apple-Chili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think! Even though I'm all about odd chili combinations, something about apples makes me pause. I'll consider it though!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.