Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Best. Cake. Ever.

I'm an awesome cook.  Give me a recipe- or don't- and I'll turn out an amazing meal.  When it comes to baking, I'm more of a brownie mix kind of girl.  There are some exceptions.  I can whip out my Grandma's Coffee Cake with ease and I've been on a homemade bread kick for the past year.  (Hello, PW's Olive Focaccia!)  I also have a certain obsession with Gooey Butter Cake.  But...Please don't ask me to bake cookies or cake from scratch.  I usually prefer to buy from a bakery then take the time to do it myself.

And then I saw this recipe on the lovely Surprised by Joy.  Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake.  May the person who first combined chocolate and peanut butter be forever blessed!  I could not resist.  I knew that this would be the culinary feat of a lifetime for me.  Three layers?  Frosting and ganache?  I bought 3 round cake pans and decided I was up for the challenge.
My kitchen was taken over by baking tools and implements, as well as ingredients.  I'm not a messy cook but I'm apparently a messy baker.

This is a fairly time-intensive recipe.  It took the better part of my Labor Day.  There's the mixing.  The baking.  The waiting for things to cool.  More mixing.  More waiting.  
And then figuring out how to flip cake layers so they're perfectly aligned on top of one another.
It was done on a wish and a prayer.

It was worth it in the end.  Caroline has much prettier pictures on her blog.  (I so need a new camera!)  Still, I'm proud of my attempt.
It's not perfect but it was entirely delicious.
I made it gluten-free so Joel could have some.  He, Tracy, and I enjoyed the cake while feasting our eyes on the drama known as Bachelor Pad.  Tracy asked me if I'd ever make this cake again and I told her it would have to be a very, very special occasion.  Entirely delicious but like I said, very time-consuming.  I fully intend to make the peanut butter frosting for the next box mix of chocolate cake or brownies I prepare though!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds AMAZING Leigh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIGH FIVE!!! That looks great, I am very proud. For a person who doesn't consider herself a baker, this was an ambitious recipe to tackle. :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I know it was ambitious. Apparently my life motto has become "go big or go home." The cake is getting rave reviews from everyone I've shared it with.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.