Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Sentiments: Wedding Cake

Sunday Sentiments is an attempt to record what God has been teaching me and the way in which He does it.

Few things strike more fear into the heart of a single person at church than an announcement that the next sermon series will be on marriage.  This morning I learned that the sight of a wedding cake on the stage will induce similar feelings.  My first impulse: run!  Unfortunately, I'd snagged a ride with Tracy and Joel so I was stuck. 

This turned out to be a good thing.  The wedding cake served a purpose- and that purpose was not to announce a sermon about marriage. 

My church has been going through the first 12 chapters of Genesis for almost a year.  I happened to be visiting last September when they kicked the series off and have been blessed by the teaching from the past 3 months that I've lived here.  The pastors spoke today about how Genesis is the foundation of our faith.  If you take away Genesis or edit it or say that it's allegory, our faith doesn't exist.

Even though I grew up in the church and attended Christian grammar school, I have learned so much through this series.  Noah's ark, for instance.  Simply blown away by the month we spent taking that apart.  The stories I heard in Sunday school were simplified and some of the truths behind the story were lost in translation.  To hear that Noah wasn't picked by God because he was good enough or righteous enough but simply picked by God just because.  Revolutionary.  God loves us because He loves us.  He uses us to accomplish His will because He chooses to use us.  It's never about anything that we do or say.  We are recipients of grace, even in this.

This morning the pastors reflected on what we've been learning this past year: The Creation, The Fall, The Flood, and The Covenant.  Then people in the congregation had a chance to talk about what they have personally learned and how God has met them through this series.  It is always encouraging to hear what God is teaching those around us.

And that wedding cake?  One of the pastors showed a video from his wedding.  When he and his wife were cutting into the cake, the whole 9 layers toppled over.  It turned out that the bottom cake plate had cracked in half during transport and wasn't stable enough to handle a small cut into it.  Just as a wedding cake needs a firm foundation, Genesis serves as a firm foundation for us.

There's a lot more I could say but I'm curious about what you've been learning at your church or Bible study or wherever God chooses to meet you.  If you're not comfortable commenting, please email me! 

What has God been teaching you lately?

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder! We're finishing up a series at church called "Fractured Fairy Tales". Our life doesn't always end up happily ever after. And, boy, can I relate to that being single. I never dreamed that at 33 I'd still be single.

    Anyways, today we learned that our faith will grow as our obedience grows. Our pastor reminded us that Noah had to step inside the ark and lock the door before the rains came! Now THAT'S faith!! We're so used to saying to God "Build my faith, then I'll step out and trust you". But God wants us step out and trust him THEN he'll build our faith!

    By the way, our church also did a series on marriage and I was so disappointed and just thought about staying home for the series, but I'm so glad I didn't! It was wonderful and I got lots of good advice. You'll have to check out my recap of it: http://www.simplystaci.net/2008/09/last-year-i-shared-how-i-made-major.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.