Saturday, August 14, 2010

La Paz review

Everyone needs a slate of good Mexican restaurants on stand-by.  Sometimes you need the comforting combination of black beans, avocado, and sour cream.  At least, that's the combo that always grabs my attention!  This week I headed to La Paz with some co-workers.  I had heard from several people that I was going to love this place.  And they were right! 

It was a cold beer kind of day so I ordered a Yazoo Summer Wheat, which was quite delicious.  Most people ordered the signature margarita, which I'll save for my next trip.  Let me first say that I could swim in a vat of their Chili con Queso and be eternally happy.  This is similar to how I felt about Rick Bayless's guacamole.  You can't really compare the two but they both produce similar feelings of bliss.

The portions here are huge.  A few people ordered the quesadillas, which could have easily fed 2 or 3 people.  I'm pretty sure I'll split the California quesadilla next time- goat cheese, black beans, spinach, and pico de gallo.  It's right up my alley.  For my first visit, I chose the Veggie Burro, a burrito stuffed with corn, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, Monterey Jack and Goat Cheese, and then smothered in a lovely green chili sauce.  It was love at first sight.  I ate about half and had the rest for lunch today.  It had a nice amount of spice to it and the cheese and chili sauce added a wonderful creaminess to the whole thing. 

The best part of the night was getting to know my co-workers better.  Hearing about their trials and tribulations.  Seeing pictures of their dogs.  (I think everyone at work owns a dog except for me.)  Learning more about their families and their interests.  Finding some new music buddies!

If you're drooling as you read this and you don't live in or near Nashville, don't despair.  The nice thing about La Paz is that there are locations in other states.  If you live in Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, or Destin, you're in luck!  The rest of you will have to campaign for a restaurant to open near you or wait until your next visit to any one of these fine cities.  Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.