Wednesday, August 25, 2010

FAIL


We all know I love a good book.  Two of the best books I've read this year were The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.  When I first heard a description of The Hunger Games, I was sure it wasn't my cup of tea.  Much like I'd initially resisted Harry Potter and Twilight.  Magic?  Vampires?  Where's the fun in reading about that?  Well, I read all 7 Harry Potter books in a few months (luckily I finished book 6 a few days before 7 released.)  And I read all 4 Twilight books in a week and a half.  And in both cases, I realized anew that sometimes my friends do know what they're talking about.

After friends urged me to give Suzanne Collins' work a chance, I brought The Hunger Games to a bereavement conference.  Little did I know that I wouldn't be able to leave it in my hotel room.  I managed not to read it during the training since the conference itself was utterly engaging.  But you can bet your bottom dollar that I snuck outside every break to inhale a few more pages.  Both books perfectly set up the next book so you are literally on pins and needles to start reading again.  I've been waiting ever since I finished Catching Fire in April for book three of the trilogy to come out.  There might be a method to my madness of starting series right before the final book comes out!  Tuesday was Mockingjay's release day.  I had pre-ordered Mockingjay through Amazon back in June, assured that it would be on my doorstep come August 24.  You can guess where I'm heading.  To my chagrin, the book is still in transit and won't be here until Saturday!  Amazon is lucky I had plans last night and tonight.  I just fired off an agitated email.  I know it won't get the book here any faster but I wanted them to know I won't be pre-ordering from them in the future.  Hopefully it'll be here this weekend and I can hole up until I find out whether Katniss chooses Peeta or Gale.

Have you been reading this captivating trilogy?  If not, are you going to start NOW?  Are you rooting for Peeta or Gale?  (Please no spoilers if you've already finished Mockingjay!)

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these books, but I LOVE Harry Potter, so maybe I'd enjoy these? Would you send me a quick "review" of the other two? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kristin, you must read these books! Your life will be changed for the better. The Hunger Games is set in a futuristic America, which is now divided into 12 districts. The 13th district tried to rebel years ago but the Capitol destroyed it and now holds The Hunger Games to remind the people to never rebel again. Every child age 11-18 is eligible to participate and a boy and a girl is selected by lottery from each district to compete. The Hunger Games is basically a survival of the fittest/kill or be killed. Whoever is the last man or woman standing, wins. Katniss is our heroine, who takes her younger sister's place in The Hunger Games. There's romance and intrigue. If you root for Katniss to win, do you then root for her competitors to die, even when one of them claims to love her? Like I said, when I first heard the description of the book, I wasn't that interested but I quickly changed my mind when I started reading! Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.