Monday, July 26, 2010

Remembering Thailand Pt. 4

I really did do some work while I was in Thailand.  A few of my favorite memories from the special ed school. (Read Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 here.)

 "Shea and I were in another deaf classroom today.  This teacher focused on us more than the students at first but I think that was because she was nervous about teaching in front of us. At one point she asked me if I draw ad I said yes, so she asked me to draw animals.  I drew a tiger, which I thought was a pathetic attempt but she said it was good and asked me to do more of the same. So I drew 2 more and then the kids started requesting animals based on their flashcards. The last one was a panda and the teacher liked it so much she taped it up on the wall!"

"Today Shea and I joined a lass of younger autistic children. There weren't any structured activities and there were at least 3 different "teachers" in the course of the morning. I stayed mostly with one very low-functioning boy, Johnny. I just did a lot of stimulus and sensation on his arms, legs, and back which he responded really well to.  He even smiled and laughed! I was glad he was able to get a lot of one-on-one attention for today because I'm sure it doesn't happen that often."

"For my last English lesson, we taught the teachers "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by The Beatles. The Assistant Director had karaoke for it so we actually had accompaniment music today. The teahers enjoyed themselves but I think the tempo might have been too fast for them to really learn it. Then Oy, another teacher, and then secretary taught us a Thai song- the Smile Song. The teachers were sad to know it was my last day. They said I was very nice and they enjoyed having me around to help.  And they want me to come back and visit."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.