Sunday, July 25, 2010

Remembering Thailand Pt. 3

I saw Green Curry sauce at Williams and Sonoma today.  There's nothing better than Green Curry Chicken, topped off with some Thai Iced Tea.  I really miss authentic Thai food!  My trip down memory lane continues. Today I went to church in Tennessee but 6 years ago, I went to church in Trang. (Read Part 1 and Part 2 here.)

Sunday, July 24, 2004:
"I went to the service at Trang Church this morning. Cha {our driver} dropped me off at about 9:40 because Phanuthat's friend told him the service started at 10 but it actually didn't start until 10:30. I just got to spend a lot of time reading my Bible which was good.  Ja, the woman who does announcements, sat with me during the service. She spoke English pretty well but I was able to teach her some new words. Another woman translated the sermon notes for me so I at least knew what the message was about. Even though I didn't understand a word, the pastor was entertaining and clear in his conviction and calling. There was such a sense of community in the congregation. A few of the songs had been translated into English so I sang along to those.  Also there was a girl who became a believer this week so she went before everyone in a white baptismal gown and the pastor prayed for her.  That was neat to see. At the end of the service, Ja had me stand up so she could only introduce me, the only ferang in the whole place. The woman who translated the sermon notes talked to me after the service and filled me in on the church.  It was started about 100 years ago by a missionary doctor. Today there are about 400 members. It's amazing how connected I could feel with strangers just because of our shard faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.