Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hot Chicken Festival

I did something totally Nashvillian today.  I went to the Music City Hot Chicken Festival in east Nashville.  I had never heard of hot chicken before moving here but according to festival lore, hot chicken is to Nashville what cheesesteak is to Philly, chowder is to New England, and pizza is to New York.  I actually take offense to pizza being associated with New York because when I think of pizza, I think deep-dish from Chicago.  I suppose we all have our pizza preferences.  In any case, a coworker invited the social workers to come to the festival and I took her up on it.  I like chicken.  I like spicy food.  And I like getting to know people.  Win-win-win.  The first 500 people got 2 free samples and we were lucky enough to be in that group.

I tried mild from Bolton's and hot from 400 Degrees.  The mild was spicy but not overly so.  I could pick out certain spices, including lemon pepper.  Delicious.  The hot chicken was a slow burn, thickly coated with spices.  It's a good thing festival volunteers reminded us not to use our hands to wipe our eyes because my eyes were streaming and my hands were coated with spice.  Many thanks to the lady handing out the wet naps.  The lines for the hot chicken vendors were pretty long but thanks to my samples and the huge free piece of watermelon, I was doing fine.  Instead of more chicken, we opted for ice cream from Pied Piper.  I got a double scoop of Lady Goo Goo, which was more like 5 scoops.  Nothing like ice cream on a hot summer day.  There was live music, of course. 
Tracy, Joel, and Anna stopped by, thanks to my influence, but I didn't see any other friends that were also planning to go.  I'm sure today will be a record turn out for the festival!  Lauren and I wandered around for awhile and then concluded we had had our fill and called it an afternoon.  Happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a super fun Fourth! Also, someone mentioned Pitchfork a couple weeks ago, and I was like, awwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad to miss Pitchfork this year. You, in all your "I'm about to get married" free time, should go in my honor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally thought about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.