Thursday, June 10, 2010

Go Blackhawks!

Perhaps the only downside to living in Nashville, aside from missing family and friends, is that I am very far from my beloved Chicago teams.  Luckily, I'm still able to catch the occasional White Sox game on TV and was able to watch the Blackhawks vs. Flyers Stanley Cup games, including last night's fantastic win.  Still, it's strange to sit at home watching a game by myself, knowing that most of the city I now live in has no vested interest in who won.  Especially since I knew many friends and family back home were watching together and screaming their hearts out.  No matter.  The Blackhawks finally ended the 49 year old championship drought last night and brought the Stanley Cup back to Chicago.  I loved watching Toews' expression when he was interviewed post-game and then when he realized he had won MVP.  Stunned, overwhelmed, happy, content.  The Blackhawks fought hard all season; it seemed that the Stanley Cup was the only right outcome.  I admit to watching their games only sporadically; most of their games were shown only on cable, which I didn't have.  To be fair, and I include the Bears in this category as well, it's hard for me to take in other games outside of the White Sox.  Baseball is such a long, demanding season that I'm about sported out afterward.  I keep track of scores and watch the occasional football or hockey game but baseball is my true love.  I don't hold myself as a hockey super fan, nor would I say I'm riding the bandwagon.  I'm just happy the Blackhawks won.  It's a good day to be a Chicagoan, even if one no longer lives in Illinois.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.