Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gooey Butter Cake

I am 100% obsessed with this cake.  I tried it for the first time in Nashville a few weeks ago.  I then convinced my best friend we needed to make it that same weekend.  That version was good but not quite what I was hoping for.  This recipe here comes close but I might monkey around with the crust and come up with a whole new way of doing this in the future.  In the meantime, this dessert tends to inspire declarations of love and adoration- it's sure to be a hit at any party.  I won't judge you if you eat the whole thing by yourself though!

Gooey Butter Cake
Crust:
yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla  (almond extract is a nice substitution as well)
15 oz. package confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix first 4 ingredients together.  Pat into a 9 x 13 pan.  Mix last 4 ingredients together- slowly add sugar.  Pour over cake layer.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until top has turned a caramel color and has cooked through the middle.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/double-chocolate-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

    I made this for my husband for his 30th bday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Rose! Chocolate takes it to a whole new level. I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.