Sunday, April 25, 2010

#12: Modern Wing at the Art Institute

My friend Kelly is visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend while her husband attends a medical conference.  While it was a rather foggy, dreary day, the rain mostly held off yesterday so she still has a favorable impression of our fair city.  I used to be in the habit of going to the Art Institute almost yearly but it's been a few years since I made it there.  Kelly's visit was the perfect excuse to cross another item off my 31 Things!  I reacquainted myself with some of my favorites in the permanent collection, although somehow missed the room holding my absolute favorite: The Crucifixion by Francisco de Zurbaran. That particular          
painting has been mesmerizing me since high school.                                        The Ocean- Harry Brodsky
The enormity, the depth, the power of it bids me to sit on the nearby bench every time.  Perhaps it was better that I missed it yesterday as we still managed to wander through the museum for 5 hours.  I would definitely recommend the newer exhibit Modern in America: Works on Paper.  Lots of interesting work, including The Ocean.  After lunch, we made our way to the Modern Wing.  As always in modern art, there are pieces that can only be described as "different."  There were certainly pretentious pieces (sculptured kitty litter?  Please!)  and pieces that you would be tempted to comment "any 5 year old could do this."  And certainly there was some that offended my mother when she visited in December.  But for the most part, I was absorbed by the art in front of me.  I adored this one by Mark Rothko (left) and found Sigmar Polke's piece with the ducks to be whimsical (right).  A few pictures do not do the Art Institute justice.  If you live in the area or travel through Chicago, I would highly encourage a visit.  And don't bypass a walk through Millennium Park after.  Otherwise you'll miss out on an opportunity to take funny pictures at the Bean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.