Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pitchfork 2008

[Ed. note: this was originally posted on my professional blog, before it was solely a professional blog.  All comments were lost in the transfer- sorry!]
The rain held off for another great Pitchfork Music Festival yesterday. This is my 3rd year attending the 3-day fest, though I typically can only make it to just one of the days. I'm bummed that I wasn't able to go today for the sole reason that Bon Iver is there this year. Still, yesterday did not disappoint and I walked away with a few new favorite bands.

The Partial Line Up:
(just partial because I only ended up checking out bands on the 2 main stages and we got there a little late due to ticket distribution issues- still got to listen from outside but not sure who it was!)

2:00 p.m. Caribou- A great starter for my Pitchfork experience.
3:00 p.m. Fleet Foxes- Absolutely my pick of the day! I fell in love with the harmonies, the lyrics, and the band.
4:00 p.m. Dizzee Rascal- Energizing rap with enough F-bombs to make a seasoned rapper cringe. Still, I enjoyed his accent and the way he got the crowd pumped up.
5:00 p.m. Vampire Weekend- OK, I know that their debut CD is all the rage but they definitely lack stage presence. At one point, I wasn't sure if the set had ended or if they just had a loooong transition between songs. Once the stage presence catches up to their genius, they will be unstoppable.
6:00 p.m. !!! - Pronounced "Chick Chick Chick." (We were wondering too.) High, high, high energy band that inspires all to dance around them. There were some unflattering camera shots of the male lead singer but I could forgive that based on the band's enthusiasm and commitment to their music.
7:00 p.m. The Hold Steady- Already loved this band and they did not disappoint. I'm digging the stuff on their new album.
8:00 p.m. Jarvis Cocker- I found Jarvis to be mellow and quite enjoyable.
9:00 p.m. Animal Collective- I've heard little bits and pieces in the past. A wonderful close to Saturday and definitely ownable.

The Pitchfork web site has a link to webcasts of all the performances so check it out if you have time!

Other thoughts:
1. Guys should never wear capris or skinny jeans. Actually, I don't think anyone should wear skinny jeans. Ditto on high-waisted pants and shorts. Let's keep that trend in the 70s where it belongs.
2. Brooke and I sat with a few of Melissa's friends. One of them, Chris, was only there because his wife is a big Pitchfork fan. He's more of the death metal type, funny and perfectly harmless. I learned later that people tend to be intimidated by him- not me! Melissa told me I handled Chris perfectly. I didn't realize that he needed handling! Yay for my people skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.